Falling in Love (Eric)

>> Thursday, April 15, 2010

First, I would like to say that I have indeed used an oar once before in my life. In fact it was recently with my brother in St. Mary’s and everything seemed to go fine. I guess maybe I sat in front an rowed and never steered, but I digress. I yelled at Michelle so hard she cried. Now I still feel bad about that, as I guess my bark was worse than my bite, but it is true.

So early in that summer I got laid off from the place where we first met. It was probably for the best, but for the next year or so it was an absolute nightmare. Actually that is not true either, as I had Michelle right by my side. More on that in a moment.

So when the lay off happened I decided the best way to get back to the society that had done me wrong was to not cur my hair or shave, until I was going to get my next job. I made it clear to her that I had given up on the status quo and wanted make my own rules. She didn’t seem to car one bit! She was starting her graduate program in the fall and had one free summer, as did I.

I found some temporary work to pay the bills, but it was all about having fun! We went camping and hiking. At the time I was obsessed with Pt. Lookout, MD. For those of you who don’t know, it was a Civil War prison for confederate soldiers. It is rumored to be one of the most haunted placed in MD. I had been there the year before with my brother and some St. Mary’s College alums, and it was a wild time. My brother and I experieced some weird happenings. So of course I was planning a trip again to see what else I could stir up, and wanted Michelle to come.

She was eager, as always to go, and we headed down there in either July or August. We, other than the ghosts the place is also a swamp, and the heat and bugs were unbearable. At one point during the trip, we actually took a nap in the back hatch of my Mazda as it was cooler than the tent.

The night in particular she is mentioning happened after our crab feast. Point Lookout does have some crabbing allowed on this pier near where we camped. After the feast, of which it was Michelle’s first time picking a crab, we decided to go on a midnight walk to the pier to look at the stars and relax. I remember being out there with Charlie and Brian, the St. Mary’s alums, and just talking with Michelle.

Of course I had been drinking all day, and I was feeling emotional. This of course is something that never happens, being emotional when drinking I mean. The guys asked us if we needed an alone moment as I was trying to confess my love to Michelle, but it wasn’t quite happening. So we went back to the campsite.

Back at the site we went back towards our tent. I don’t remember if Michelle needed something or I did, but we were there. It was somewhat isolated, and that is when I told her, “I like you”, and she was coy. Then I said, “I mean I like you like you!” She was coy again, and then I said, “Well, I love you!” and I am not sure if she said it back to me, but I knew she did too!

Of course, I was a little lubricated, but it really was true. I guess I needed some help telling this beautiful person that I did indeed love her. She was so wonderful at that time in my life! I just had a huge crushing blow to my ego and self esteem, but there she was. She didn’t care what I did or what I looked like as long I was me. It had been a long time since I felt that from someone. I knew I was guarded, but had to tell her what I thought. 

That night, I think I continued to drink beers and fall asleep in our oven like tent. She did too. The next day we struggled to get up and go to a local swimming beach. Wow that was an adventure, but if anyone out there is reading this, send us a message or talk to us in person.

So as our trip came to an end, and we went back to NoVa we couldn’t have imagined how rough things would have gotten in the many months to come. But, I do have to say our love for each other made us through the ordeal!


  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP